* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

[ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Lilly Belle from Bachmann Observation Coach
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:32 pm 
Engineer

I am in the process of converting a Bachmann Observation Coach into the Lilly Belle. Does anyone know what color the platform and steps are outside the coach door? Here is a picture of the restored "Painted Desert". Without additional input from you guys, I'll probably do the Lilly Belle in a similar fashion but with green rails. Are there warning stripes on the steps?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:44 am 
8000 post Engineer

Al inserted this publicity photo into the article I wrote on the Lilly Belle. The steps and platform are the same burgundy color as the rest of the car (although it looks a little muted in this photo):

The latest edition of Welcome Aboard the Disneyland Railroad! is now available to pre-order, with a special price for Burnslanders! You can read more about the book and pre-order a copy from http://www.burnsland.com/store/dlrrbook.shtml

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:42 am 
2000 post Engineer

That's burgundy? It looks closer to a Tuscan, to me.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:49 am 
8000 post Engineer

Roy wrote:
That's burgundy? It looks closer to a Tuscan, to me.

*sigh*

I didn't say the color in the photo was burgundy--I said the color of the car is burgundy. As I said...It's washed out in the photo. Look at the siding under the window on the far right.

Trust me...the platform is the same color as the rest of the car.

The latest edition of Welcome Aboard the Disneyland Railroad! is now available to pre-order, with a special price for Burnslanders! You can read more about the book and pre-order a copy from http://www.burnsland.com/store/dlrrbook.shtml

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:56 am 
Engineer

These are great photos Steve. So the platform and steps are bugundy. The part of the platform that the rail is mounted on looks to be the same "rust" color that I have used on the roof, Ace Red Primer. In your second photo, it looks like there is yellow on the steps. Is that from the 2" warning stripe that safety codes require?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:06 am 
8000 post Engineer

Guess I shouldn't have posted that photo of Diane K., because the colors are so off.

The platform, the steps, the buffer, everything is the same burgundy color as the rest of the car. See the color of the car siding under the window? It's the same color as the platform and the end beam that the railings are mounted to.

The second photo I posted shows the car in the late 1990s. That is yellow safety tread, which had been recently applied. I don't recall if the car still has that or not.

Maybe Matt has some better photos?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:23 am 
Engineer

All burgundy it is! I will put a thin yellow strip to cover a joint where I am adding a nosing. Thanks for your patience in helping us get it right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:25 am 
8000 post Engineer

In a photo on Steve's Lilly Belle photo page, it looks like black has replaced the yellow non-slip coating.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:37 am 
Engineer

Do you know if it is a stripe or the whole tread?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:48 am 
2000 post Engineer

The same photo's Steve is talking about show that maybe the deck is mor like the roof color. I suspect it gets repainted more often and there may be color shifts in the photos or the paints.

http://www.burnsland.com/sdra/lilly13.shtml
http://www.burnsland.com/sdra/lilly15.shtml

[ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next