* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

[ 291 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Scratch build Gurley and Kimball in G scale
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:48 pm 
Engineer

This thread will chronicle the scratch building of DLRR Engines #3 and #5, FRED GURLEY and WARD KIMBALL (Do you wonder if these guys ever in their wildest dreams thought that some day in the future people would be chronicling the building of toy trains bearing their name?) Today is the starting point. I have 2 Hartland Princess models that have been waiting for this for a while.
I will start with photo enlarging a drawing of each from Steve G''s excellent book, "Welcome Aboard the Disneyland Railroad." This picture is enlarged to the point to the height that the cab is equal to the height of my Princess cab. I am doing this because this will help to make it fit with the other DLRR engines that I have.
[img]http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo345/CPTRR/Gurley-Kimball/Gurley.jpg[/img] The whole issue of scale is not one that I want to debate. My layout is 1/24 scale. If I were to build all the locomotives to 1/24 scale accurately to the dimensions of the actual locomotives they would not look right with the coaches and other commercially available pieces. The DLRR locos and cars are all scaled down trains. My approach is to build something that looks right proportionately. That being said, photo-enlarging the print to the height of the existing cab will be fine. I fine tuned the enlargement by looking at the boiler diameter and comparing to what is available in plastic pipe. At the enlargement shown, the boiler would require a 1 3/4" pipe. (The Princess boiler is 2” in diameter) 1 ¾” ABS pipe is available from plastruc.com. Also the stack is now 1/2" diameter which is also available. If it had been an odd dimension, then I would turn it on a lathe. Note that the Princess has the running board and cab at the same level. The Gurley cab is dropped below the running board. I will have to cut the chassis to accomplish this. The reference point for the whole project is the centerline of the rear drive wheel because of the position of the dropped cab relative to this wheel. You can see (I hope) that the finished model will be longer that the Princess and will have a much larger cab and tender. The next step is to order the pipes and start the drawings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:19 pm 
2000 post Engineer

i have an extra headlamp from my Gurley, if you would like it, Dave.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:29 pm 
8000 post Engineer

Again, Dave, you're demonstrating how the drawings were meant to be used.

A few folks took me to task for not inclding a scale. But I knew that if anyone wanted to use the drawings for modelmaking, they'd use them as you are doing--to get the right proportions of the various parts, not necessarily building exact-scale components.

When you're using stock frames and wheels like most of us, the important thing is to get the proportions right, even if the stock parts are only just "close enough."

The latest edition of Welcome Aboard the Disneyland Railroad! is now available to pre-order, with a special price for Burnslanders! You can read more about the book and pre-order a copy from http://www.burnsland.com/store/dlrrbook.shtml

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:39 pm 
Engineer

IDMT129 wrote:
i have an extra headlamp from my Gurley, if you would like it, Dave.

Which Gurly are you referring to? I have an Ozark Miniatures headlight that I was planning on using. Same one I used on Ripley.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:44 pm 
2000 post Engineer

The LGB Gurley came with a back up light on the tender. i removed mine. it is probably the only thing that IS really close to the actual Fred.

I seem to have lost the photos of my Fred.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Scratch build Gurley and Kimball in G scale
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:14 am 
Engineer

Dave Sheegog wrote:
1 ¾” ABS pipe is available from plastruc.com.

I mis-typed the name of the plastic supplier. It is plastruct.com. I have ordered the pipes and at Sam's suggestion, ordered some foam to use for producing the domes. Sam, I believe you said that you were using 10# foam. The heaviest foam that Plastruct sells is 4#. I tried to ask if anyone there knew if it could be turned on a lathe. I got a lot of blank stares (yes, I could see them throught the phone) but I ordered it anyway. We'll see how it works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:36 am 
Engineer

I'm on the first drawing and already stuck. I need the experts to chime in. I am trying to determine how the red trim works on the side of the cab. We concluded in another thread that the photo below shows the Gurley with the door removed for convenience.
[img]http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo345/CPTRR/Gurley-Kimball/2008-05-03078.jpg[/img]

It is clear that the forward window has red trim and glass and the center window has no red trim and no glass, but does have a green trim board on the bottom.
[img]http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo345/CPTRR/Gurley-Kimball/FredGurleyMSS02.jpg[/img]

Does the rear arch top window which is in the door have red trim and glass? Anybody?

An observation. The photo on page 93 of Steve's book appears to show red trim on the center window, but this may just be the angle the photo was shot from. The photo on page 287 show the cab all white, I'm so confused!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:53 am 
8000 post Engineer

I *believe* that the "middle window" has a red frame and glass on both sides of the cab, but is often slid forward behind the front windows (where it can't be seen), except on cold days, when it's closed (as you see on page 93). The door window also has a red frame.

BTW, that green "trim board" is actually a padded arm rest.

The latest edition of Welcome Aboard the Disneyland Railroad! is now available to pre-order, with a special price for Burnslanders! You can read more about the book and pre-order a copy from http://www.burnsland.com/store/dlrrbook.shtml

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:22 pm 
2000 post Engineer

Dave,

You mentioned the all-white cab picture- looks to me like the whistle here is painted white.

Roy

[img]http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo345/CPTRR/Gurley-Kimball/2008-05-03078.jpg[/img]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:27 pm 
2000 post Engineer

^^ That's just the lighting, they wouldn't paint a whistle white! An all-white cab picture?

Profile E-mail  

[ 291 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 30  Next