* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

[ 156 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Scratch Build DLRR #1, #2, #4 and #5
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:28 am 
Engineer

These engine projects are getting a little jumbled; a Holliday, Ripley and Marsh that need new boilers and a Kimball that hasn't really been started. There are currently 4 threads that were intended to chronicle these individual projects, but I can see a lot of benefit in doing the actual construction of each concurrently. Here is how I will proceed.

This is a foam core tray that I put together to keep all of the little parts, purchased or scratch built, together with the appropriate project. I am hoping that this will help me to see when a particular phase can be started and benefit all 4 projects.

Here are Preston's drawings of the 4 engines enlarged to 1/18 scale. I used the driver diameter as the "yardstick" 36" for Holliday and Ripley, 30" for Gurley and Kimball and 28" for Marsh. To back check the enlargement, each boiler should be 32", (which they are)

A real striking difference when viewing all together is the difference in cab sizes. The Ripley appears to be the smallest and the Marsh the largest. Can anyone attest to the roominess of each cab?

Post subject: Re: Scratch Build DLRR #1, #2, #4 and #5
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:24 pm 
2000 post Engineer

Dave Sheegog wrote:
...Here are Preston's drawings of the 4 engines enlarged to 1/18 scale. I used the driver diameter as the "yardstick" 36" for Holliday and Ripley, 30" for Gurley and Kimball and 28" for Marsh...

A real striking difference when viewing all together is the difference in cab sizes. The Ripley appears to be the smallest and the Marsh the largest. Can anyone attest to the roominess of each cab?

Aren't you using the same Hartland drivers for the Marsh(28") as for #3 and #5(30")?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Scratch Build DLRR #1, #2, #4 and #5
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:40 pm 
Engineer

Roy wrote:
Aren't you using the same Hartland drivers for the Marsh(28") as for #3 and #5(30")?

You are correct. Here is where some concessions must be made if I am to use the Hartland chassis and drivers. The scale was established by the 2 inch drivers on the Jupiter / Lilly Belle models. These models will serve as the Holliday and Ripley. Preston's images of #1 and #2 were enlarged until the drivers were 2 inches. The other 3 engines were then enlarged such that the boilers of all 5 were the same diameter. To back check, all 5 were then enlarged 18 times to full size. Sure enough the drivers measure at 36", 30" and 28" and the boilers are all 32". Where my models will lose some accuracy is that I will be using the same Hartland "Princess" wheels for #3, #4 and #5. These drivers actually scale out at 27" So when my models are complete, The wheels on 3, 4 and 5 will look a little small. I think this is the least of the evils. The engines will sit at the right height and all cabs, boilers, domes and stacks will be of the correct size and proportion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:06 pm 
2000 post Engineer

Well Dave, I have a few pictures of the back heads of some of the Locomotives. I don't if they will help but I'll post them for your viewing.

E.S.Marsh

Fred Gurley

C.K.Holliday

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:13 pm 
Engineer

These are great!. I don't think that I will model the back head (that is Sam territory), but this helps with other details. I was looking for the curtain rod on the March. Does it go all the way across the top to allow the curtains to close? By the way, how did you get these,?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:50 pm 
2000 post Engineer

I don't think the curtains go from side to side, if that's what you're referring to. The Marsh, I think, has windows that slide up (that red-orange trim that looks like seats). The curtains just close up the cab entryway.

I guess you can say back-head modeling is my territory, considering I can't think of anyone else that has models the DL engine's cab plumbing! :D

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:33 am 
2000 post Engineer

Gurley and Marsh were taken from the front of the first car. Holliday was on a tender ride with no wide angle lens, so all I got was the back head. I was posting so you could the the roomy (NOT) cabs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:38 am 
Engineer

jazzfan4 wrote:
... you could see the the roomy (NOT) cabs.

From Preston's drawings it looks like the Ripley is tiny inside and the Marsh is much more roomy. Do you know if this is the case?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:46 am 
2000 post Engineer

I really don't, I do know that the Marsh looks like boiler come all the way back and there is little room except on the sides, the crews close friend is the fire box. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:54 am 
Engineer

jazzfan4 wrote:
I really don't, I do know that the Marsh looks like boiler come all the way back and there is little room except on the sides, the crews close friend is the fire box. :twisted:

I wasn't even thinking of how far the firebox intruded into the cab. I was just looking at head room from a side elevation. It looks like Engines 1 and 2 were built with the smallest cabs, probably because aesthetics took precedent. Then when 3, 4 and 5 came along, the actual operators got their 2 cents in and the cabs were made larger, more people sized.. Just a thought.

[ 156 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next