* Login  * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

[ 259 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Building Grand Canyon #106
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:00 pm 
Engineer

Today I finished the CAD work for the Grand Canyon. I dropped off the material with the laser guy and it should be ready next week. I am quite excited about this one because it is completely from the ground up scratch built. No compromises so far. Here's where I need some help. I have laid out the interior with "benches" facing in. These look to be actually leather (or Naugahyde) seats with arm rests separating them. If this coach actually accommodated 48 passengers and the overall length was 37'-9" then each seat was only about 1'-6" wide less the width of the partition separating each one. This seams quite tight. I do not recall ever seeing the interior of this car. All I have is this picture. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:36 pm 
8000 post Engineer

No, this car could not accommodate 48 people like the other coaches. Preston's floorplan of the Lilly Belle (which today utilizes some of the original benches) shows that three four-seat benches could be placed on each side of the aisle--giving us a capacity of 24 people.

EDIT:

This photo seems to show that the bench was continuous, going from end to end. So, the capacity would be increased by a few passengers:

I count 12 seats on each side, and 9 windows visible. Doing the math, for 12 windows, we would have exactly 16 seats per side.

The latest edition of Welcome Aboard the Disneyland Railroad! is now available to pre-order, with a special price for Burnslanders! You can read more about the book and pre-order a copy from http://www.burnsland.com/store/dlrrbook.shtml

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:30 pm 
Engineer

Thanks Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:16 am 
Engineer

I'm sure tht it is just the low level of interior lighting, but the wood appears to be stained darker than in the other coaches, or at least the wood on the armrests. Does anyone have any recollections of whether this coach was done in a more "Presidential" style with darker wood? If no one does, then I think that I will stain the walls and ceilings to match the typical coaches (see photo) and stain the armrests and floor darker. The other coaches will have the floor lighter than the walls.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:43 am 
8000 post Engineer

The walls should be the same wood color you see in your photo above. The older photos are just poorly lighted/exposed. The arm rests are darker.

The latest edition of Welcome Aboard the Disneyland Railroad! is now available to pre-order, with a special price for Burnslanders! You can read more about the book and pre-order a copy from http://www.burnsland.com/store/dlrrbook.shtml

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:35 pm 
Engineer

While I'm waiting for the plastic to be cut, I thought that I would start on the graphics. I am reconstructing the drumhead graphic from a pretty fuzzy photo. If anyone has a clear photo of the castle, I would love to use somthing better than what I've got. This photo shows the new graphic (waiting for the castle) with the fuzzy castle next to it and a later incarnation of the castle that could be used, but is not really the same. Steve's book noted that the Santa Fe cross was blue. I have made the letters black.

I have taken some liberty with the clerestory windows. The originals were a transluscent fiberglass. The 4 coaches that are currently being refurbished are having their windows upgraded to an etched glass. I am going to take the leap of faith that had #106 been refurbished, It would get a similar treatment. I modified the pattern used on the standard coach to be longer for the longer #106 windows

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:52 pm 
8000 post Engineer

That's the best photo of the Drumhead I personally have ever seen. The version in Broggie's book may be sharper (Al lowers resolution on his site).

You should have enough there to recreate it very closely.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:01 am 
Engineer

The photo in Michael's book looks to be clear enough. When scanned and imported for tracing, it too comes out too pixelated. I enlarged the photo by 4 times on a copy machine and then scanned that images and it worked! Didn't get much done today, just a little graphics; finished the drumhead, produced the rear canopy and attemped the bunting. Trying to make paper drape like fabric is a loosing proposition. Does anyone know of a relatively simple way to print on fabric (for the bunting)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:29 am 
Conductor

Is there a way of masking fabric off and painting it. I am gonna check with a few SUB board people who make flags though and see

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:36 am 
Conductor

http://amp.rokket.biz/flags.shtml
makes flags and also custom flags in scale for under 10 dollars a flag

[ 259 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next