* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

[ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: Stone Mountain Scenic Railroad - Stone Mountain, Georgia
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:19 pm 
Fireman

Cannonball7 wrote:
It also scares me that they've moved #60. Its the last steam engine the park owns and my assumption is that they will get rid of it...dashing all my hopes of restoration of steam at Stone Mountain.

That will be rather upsetting if they do, but seeing as the engines have just been languishing in the yard, or in 110's case, by the depot, as the mountain operators have been blowing their money on novelty amusement attractions, the fact that they're giving the engines to museums who'll take better care of them is a sign that management is beginning to come to its senses.

That said, with number 60 remaining, I wonder where the mountain is going with this... Will they restore 60 to operating condition? Or will they donate it to that San Antonio-based group that has had their eyes on it? Or... hmmm... :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:25 pm 
8000 post Engineer

I beleive 60 was removed yesterday as well, headed for Knoxville, TN.

The latest edition of Welcome Aboard the Disneyland Railroad! is now available to pre-order, with a special price for Burnslanders! You can read more about the book and pre-order a copy from http://www.burnsland.com/store/dlrrbook.shtml

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:40 pm 
Fireman

Steve DeGaetano wrote:
I beleive 60 was removed yesterday as well, headed for Knoxville, TN.

Has it?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:17 am 
8000 post Engineer

That's what was posted to RYPN.

Actually, what was posted was taht the Texas II was headded north. Is this the same engine as No. 60?

Here's what was posted on Feb. 6th:

Quote:
I was just informed that the Texas II at stone mountain park in Georgia was just loaded onto a flat bed and headed to Knoxville TN. Apparently it will see life on the three Rivera rambler railroad. Anyone have pics of the trip, would love to see them

The latest edition of Welcome Aboard the Disneyland Railroad! is now available to pre-order, with a special price for Burnslanders! You can read more about the book and pre-order a copy from http://www.burnsland.com/store/dlrrbook.shtml

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:39 pm 
Fireman

I saw that, but I haven't seen much else about it. I just asked the Three Rivers Rambler about it, hopefully they can clarify this. And yes, the no. 60 is the Texas II.

By the way, elsewhere on the RYPN, it was posted that the California State Railroad Museum was going to exchange their Genoa for a UK engine. I asked the museum about that, they're doing no such thing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:39 am 
8000 post Engineer

Turns out the 60 going north was a train version of "telephone." Somehow someone got confused between the 60 and the 110 and the Three Rivers and the New Hope Valley.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:40 am 
1000 post Engineer

Steve DeGaetano wrote:
Turns out the 60 going north was a train version of "telephone." Somehow someone got confused between the 60 and the 110 and the Three Rivers and the New Hope Valley.

That doesn't surprise me, Steve. Three Rivers Rambler already has 2 steamers - and they don't run them that often. I just couldn't see them getting a loco that needed a complete rebuild.

The larger question...just exactly what is going to happen to #60???

I just don't see Stone Mountain Railroad returning to steam, even though I would love for them do it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:41 pm 
Fireman

Cannonball7 wrote:
Three Rivers Rambler already has 2 steamers - and they don't run them that often. I just couldn't see them getting a loco that needed a complete rebuild.

The larger question...just exactly what is going to happen to #60???

I just don't see Stone Mountain Railroad returning to steam, even though I would love for them do it.

I'm wondering that too. I asked the Three Rivers about whether or not they actually acquired 60, and they just said to stay tuned. I'm thinking maybe they might actually be trying to get the engine... Interesting to see where this is all going... :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:19 pm 
1000 post Engineer

Jayo - I think I know where this is all going... STMRR is divesting themselves of all their steam locos, and by giving them away they are more than likely getting some sort of tax credit. It probably also means that steam will never return to "the mountain".

I find it frustrating that the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum, Tweetsie Railroad, and even the newer Orange Blossom Cannonball (near Orlando) can make the business model work to run steam outside of an amusement park setting...yet, Stone Mountain couldn't. With 5 miles of closed track, it would be a perfect place for it...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:34 pm 
Fireman

Cannonball7 wrote:
Jayo - I think I know where this is all going... STMRR is divesting themselves of all their steam locos, and by giving them away they are more than likely getting some sort of tax credit. It probably also means that steam will never return to "the mountain".

I find it frustrating that the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum, Tweetsie Railroad, and even the newer Orange Blossom Cannonball (near Orlando) can make the business model work to run steam outside of an amusement park setting...yet, Stone Mountain couldn't. With 5 miles of closed track, it would be a perfect place for it...

I think the problem is that Stone Mountain thinks it is in an amusement park setting. Well, it looks like there was some truth to the rumor. Some, not all...

[ 256 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next