* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

[ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
 Post subject: Re: SFOG engines
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:31 am 
1000 post Engineer

Tommy Gray wrote:
That video is mine. I spent the better part of a day shooting video of the railroad. Glad to see it on Youtube. I have video of the Texas under steam also. I really do miss these grand old locomotives, under steam they were a real treat to ride behind. There were a couple of places on the line where the grade really made the little engines talk. Six Flags Over Georgia should really be ashamed of the current condition of their railroad. For a company that complains of the lack of money, they sure have it to spend on roller coasters. It is terrible what has happened to these once beautiful steamers. At least we can watch the videos and remember better days.

Great video, Tommy! I thoroughly enjoyed it...and it certainly helped me remember better days.

For me, it is not just about the steam...when you look closely in the video you see the great care the SFoGRR team took care of the engines. They literally sparkled vs. today where the brass has turned green and the driver wheels are covered in grease.

During my You Tube search, I did find that St. Louis Six Flags still is running steam. I was shocked! I thought only Six Flags over Texas still had steam. Again, I wish SFoG had kept them steam. It was great for the park on so many levels - especially the Fright Train.

What is the latest on the old PCJGTRR engines? :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:18 pm 
Conductor

The three locomotives from PJRR are still on the hilltop at Warrior at the Hallmark estate. The little #5 is in the same place it has been for several years. The #9 has had the wood removed from the cab, is stripped down to the boiler and rusted. 9 hasn't been moved in several years and is separated from the tender. Both 5 & 9 are outdoors, no cover. The #7 (ex-Argent #1) is under the pole barn. I always wanted the little #5, such a great looking locomotive. I hope these will not eventually end up scrapped. At this point, I'm sure each will require a good bit of work to restore. That's all I have.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:12 pm 
1000 post Engineer

Tommy Gray wrote:
The three locomotives from PJRR are still on the hilltop at Warrior at the Hallmark estate. The little #5 is in the same place it has been for several years. The #9 has had the wood removed from the cab, is stripped down to the boiler and rusted. 9 hasn't been moved in several years and is separated from the tender. Both 5 & 9 are outdoors, no cover. The #7 (ex-Argent #1) is under the pole barn. I always wanted the little #5, such a great looking locomotive. I hope these will not eventually end up scrapped. At this point, I'm sure each will require a good bit of work to restore. That's all I have.

Thanks for the (sad) update. You know...those would engines would be great for SFoG to purchase, restore and put on their line!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:21 pm 
Conductor

I am a big fan of the Tweetsie line. I would love to see the group at the Doe River Gorge get either the 5 or 9 and restore it to run on the portion of the old ETWNC line this group owns. Neither of these locomotives are for sale as far as I know. This is just dreaming of what would be fun to see happen.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:56 pm 
1000 post Engineer

So, I saw in some recent You Tube posts that the "General" at Six Flags Over Georgia had some of its running gear off and was parked outside the engine shed. Anyone got any ideas and/or heard what is going on with her?

[ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16