* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

[ 155 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 7:55 pm 
Fireman

I am taking this time to respond to the last SFOG posts. They were gettn' kinda long so I'm startin' fresh. I'm glad to see the Texas back in service. for a now Steam outline-like engine, it's nicely done, as good as the Custom Loco works 4-4-0 and the newer CP Hunington engines(paticularly the ones at Zoo Atlanta). Though I think the exhaust pipe should be routed through the smokestack to make it look more like a steam engine. It does show that they do care about those engines, and the big problem with Six Flags is that they run several parks nationwide, whereas if it were only one or two, they'd be more focused on these such things. Keep that Mr Six guy, as he's bringing more guests to the park, and thus more money they can use on the railroad. Also, maybe they should have kept the Greta and just use it as a spare, and possibly rename it "The Yonah" and fix it to be less of a burden. I went to Six Flags in 1999/2000, and I only rode the General. I'm going again this summer and I hope to see The Texas in action.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:01 pm 
1000 post Engineer

jayo wrote:
It does show that they do care about those engines...

I am absolutely dumbfounded that you could say that! If they cared so much about those engines, they would have either remained steam operated or sold to another railroad that would have operated them as steam engines.

The "Texas" has had her entire insides ripped out and replaced with a hydraulic diesel engine. If she had a personality (and all steam engines do), I bet she is crying right now.

(Sorry to be so direct on one of your first posts, but we are pationate about our steam engines here...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 11:12 pm 
Brakeman

Individuals withing the Six Flags corporation may care a great deal for the engines, but to the corporation as a whole they are outdated rides from the park's early days that are long overdue for removal or at least "modernization". What they have done to the Texas is their idea of making the ride better. Of course they don't need the General anymore, so they have dumped her outside where the elements will turn her into a rustbucket. The Texas is so badly destroyed that she is no longer a steam locomotive in any sense of the word. Virtually all of her steam components are gone or hopelessly ruined, and to convert her back into a steamer again would essentially mean building a new locomotive on the same frame. It is almost like she is not the same engine as she was before. More like a new diesel locomotive built using the shell of an old steamer.

Edited By engineboy119 on 1116562475

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 12:34 am 
1000 post Engineer

Texas is not crying she is shouting out "GET ME OUT OF HERE!" She is still alive with very little life left. The General is still alive but she sits outside safe but exposed to the elements and I bet that the General is crying for her sister and that she gets rescued. The General will now need boiler retubing, wheel rotation, cylinder bushing, a smoke box rebuild, a new boiler jacket, and new stables in the firebox to return to steam. Both Harpurs are now crying for help and its up to other railroads that want her now before she goes in for her dieselization.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 1:45 am 
4000 post Engineer

Quote:
Keep that Mr Six guy, as he's bringing more guests to the park, and thus more money they can use on the railroad.

Have you kept up with Six Flags' financial statements lately? If you don't have the time to read those, just look at the price of their stock.

I don't know why the public at large thinks that the Mr. Six ads are so successful. They may have people dancing in front of the TV sets in their living rooms, but they're not making people dance through the gates of their local Six Flags park. Attendance overall amongst the chain was down last year even though Mr. Six was getting down on America's TV sets like he was smashed on Jolt Cola and had red ants in his pants.

- Thurl Ravenscroft 1914-2005 -

[email protected]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 1:45 am 
1000 post Engineer

Quote:
a new boiler jacket, and new stables in the firebox to return to steam.

You mean...Staybolts?! I don't think new stays would do much for a firebox completely gutted and devoid of a crown sheet!

The locomotive will never return to steam, but if it did, a new boiler would have to be in store for it...in addition to an obvious running gear rebuild.

Edited By Ed Kelley on 1116571777

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 1:46 am 
Conductor

I would agree that the General probably needs a retube to get back into service, but the wheels may not need profiling, depending on the amount of use since the last profiling. Provided that the valve gear is left in neutral on the TEXAS, the unlubed valves won't move so that aspect of wear is gone, and the piston rods are disconnected, so that is a non problem for the time being as well. Hopefully, the rods were removed carefully and not cut, because if they are cut, that is a whole new can of worms. Sad, sad thing. :(

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 2:28 pm 
Brakeman

I don't think the Texas currently has any valve gear. It was removed during the last rebuild and never put back on. The J-bar in the cab is locked in forward to get it out of the way, so I sure hope nothing is connected to it anymjore. Supposedly the old valve gear is still stored in the enginehouse, but they could have gotten rid of it now that it is no longer needed. I woudn't trust Six Flags to keep or care for anything they don't immediately need. Just look at the General.

As for Mr. Six, I've never seen him and the nearest Six Flags park is over 10 hours drive from my home. Personally the only Six Flags parks I'd go out of my way to visit are St. Louis and Texas, and Astroworld if I was able to get there on a Harpur day. Aside from the lack of steam draw, I just don't think a park is that fun if it only has over-the-top thrill rides, half of which are closed on any given day. Not to mention the ones I have been to were dirty and on average the staff was either unfriendly or very unprofessional.

Edited By engineboy119 on 1116617986

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 2:44 pm 
Fireman

Cannonball7 wrote:
jayo wrote:
It does show that they do care about those engines...

I am absolutely dumbfounded that you could say that! If they cared so much about those engines, they would have either remained steam operated or sold to another railroad that would have operated them as steam engines.

The "Texas" has had her entire insides ripped out and replaced with a hydraulic diesel engine. If she had a personality (and all steam engines do), I bet she is crying right now.

(Sorry to be so direct on one of your first posts, but we are pationate about our steam engines here...)

You dumfounded? ??? If they diddn't care about the engines, they'd probably have kept the Greta and ran it to death. If the Texas had personality, he would be happy to be running again. He probably was crying when the Gretta was running. It is on a different power, but the changes are hardly noticable on the outside. You otta be happy, they coulda just ditched the engines and kept the Gretta. I just wish they could do that to Stone Mountain's engines, except if they do it on them, have it done so if they decide to return them to steam, they could just remove the diesel parts, patch it up and work on the steam repairs. Try to think of it as someone whose heart is busted and is surviving with a pacemaker(ain't tehnology great :laugh: ).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 8:41 pm 
1000 post Engineer

I fear that Stone Mountain's engines are too far gone that it doesn't matter what they do to them. Earlier this spring when I rode the Stone Mountain Scenic Railroad, I noticed that weeds were growing out of the boiler jacket on the "General II"!!!

Those were beautiful steamers that were also left outside to rot. In fact, the Dollywood folks came down and raped them for parts for their own steam operation when the parent company took over Stone Mountain Park. :angry:

Edited By Cannonball7 on 1116639696

[ 155 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next