Brakeman

train freak wrote:
Happy Late B-day by the way Engineboy 119

Thanks!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:50 pm 
1000 post Engineer

For those who were wondering what happened to "Elizabeth" - here she is at SFoG earlier this spring: http://www.jonathanhawkins.net/photos/displayimage.php?album=170&pos=54

*this is not my website. linked from a SFoG site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:19 pm 
Passenger

Thanks for the link. It looks like they took the valves out of GENERAL. Did the park finally dieselize this engine?

I read somewhere that the coaster enthusiasts were given a DVD, at one of their events several years ago, that included some old footage of Six Flags Over TEXAS. I would be glad to purchase a copy if there is one available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:15 pm 
1000 post Engineer

CGWallace wrote:
Thanks for the link. It looks like they took the valves out of GENERAL. Did the park finally dieselize this engine?

I read somewhere that the coaster enthusiasts were given a DVD, at one of their events several years ago, that included some old footage of Six Flags Over TEXAS. I would be glad to purchase a copy if there is one available.

It is my understanding that the "General" is either dieselized or in the process of being converted over to a diesel-hydraulic engine like the one in the "Texas". I'll be visiting the park in early July...I'll be sure to report back here.

I was just pleased to see the locomotive in the engine house and not rotting outside like it had been doing for the past 3-4 years!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:25 pm 
1000 post Engineer

Here is a picture of the "General" from that same site: http://www.jonathanhawkins.net/photos/displayimage.php?album=170&pos=59

Even from this angle, she looks in bad shape...particularly for an engine that is about to be dieselized.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:16 pm 
Engineer

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:49 pm 
Engineer

Now is this one of the sister engines to the one that runs at the Pacific Coast Railroad?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:34 am 
Engineer

no although that is a harpur engine its not a sister to the PCRR locomotive that engine came from Huston TX here is its sister http://www.steamlocomotive.info/vlocomo ... splay=3911

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:37 am 
4000 post Engineer

Now that's pathetic. :(

But then again I wouldn't expect anything else from a Six Flags park.

- Thurl Ravenscroft 1914-2005 -

[email protected]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:48 am 
1000 post Engineer

train man wrote:
no although that is a harpur engine its not a sister to the PCRR locomotive that engine came from Huston TX here is its sister http://www.steamlocomotive.info/vlocomo ... splay=3911

Just to add more background... Six Flag's first park was in Texas. There, they utilized already existing locomotives for their line - which are still in operation today as they are owned by a family and not the Six Flags chain.

Georgia was built next and was the first in the chain to commission custom built steam locomotives from Bob Harpur. Angus Wynne, founder of Six Flags, wanted steam trains that reflected the region. So, the "Texas" and the "General" were built at 5/8th scale (just like Disneyland) and are meant to represent the two locomotives from the Great Locomotive Chase - which ran mostly through Georgia. On the whole they are are excellent replicas - although there are variations from the original that most historians recognize quickly. (Today - neither of the Harpurs operate under steam power.)

When Astorworld was built, Six Flags went back to Harpur to build two more engines for that park. Today - one is at Pacific Coast RR and the other is at the link TrainMan posted.

While the Astroworld engines are not "sister" of the SFoG engines, they were built based on the plans of the "Texas" & "General". So...they are definitely cousins! :D

[ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next