* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

[ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: New turntable for IRM
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:52 pm 
Conductor

Well us steam guys at IRM got some really good news yesterday afternoon, we won the auction for the UP Burnham 130' turntable!!! Its a former Rio Grande turntable built in the early 1940's and re-build by UP in 2012 costing about $500,000. We beat out the scrappers at the auction and got it for $10,000. Now the fun part begins of getting it ready to ship from Denver to Union. The main "bridge" section will be going by rail and the rest will be trucked out. I'll be leaving for Denver the week of April 4th to assist in the disassembling and removal of the turntable. Us steam guys at IRM have been wanting a BIG turntable for a long time for out steam service facility, and well we finally got one!!! A few pics on of the table are available on this link: http://www2.irm.org/blogs/archives/1914 ... ement.html

Post subject: Re: New turntable for IRM
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:36 am 
8000 post Engineer

Congratulations! That's great news indeed!

The latest edition of Welcome Aboard the Disneyland Railroad! is now available to pre-order, with a special price for Burnslanders! You can read more about the book and pre-order a copy from http://www.burnsland.com/store/dlrrbook.shtml

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:33 am 
Conductor

We can't wait to get the table back to IRM, plans changed and I'm heading out to Denver on the 30th now. Trying to pack what seems like 1/2 the shops tools into one of our work trucks now for the move.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:31 am 
Passenger

Just wondering where the turntable will eventually go? I'm guessing in the area where the steam servicing tracks are.

My kids love the museum and it's the best $65 we spend every year. Nothing like being outside, watching trains, and seeing working history.

Can't wait til the boys are older (4 1/2), as I'd like to volunteer at some point.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:07 pm 
Conductor

If you know the layout at IRM and where the turntable is sitting on cribbing right now, it will be placed more centered on the the three track its next to right now and I think more north from where its sitting.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:32 pm 
Passenger

Cool. I'll have to take a look when I'm out there this Sunday.

If you see two little boys the same age (one blonde/one brown haired), a middle aged guy and a grandpa - that's us!

Profile E-mail  

[ 6 posts ]