* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

[ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Tweetsie Railroad #12's 100th Birthday
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:13 am 
Passenger

well, guess who's celebrating a birthday this year? well, none other than Tweetsie #12! who's celebrating her 100th Birthday! this is my dieheart locomotive and I have to admit, she's looking pretty good for her age. ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnrdr9T8uMs video is by me.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Tweetsie Railroad #12's 100th Birthday
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:15 am 
8000 post Engineer

Glad you started this thread since I didn't want to highjack the other one.

Just got back from my very first visit to Tweetsie. Wow, what a trip! We had just arrived when the first train headed out, and after I heard the exhaust, I knew she had just started on a grade. Went over to the water tower and noticed the rails were sanded. When the train came in (No. 190) it was an awesome sight. The engine was sanding the rails as she came in so she'd already have sand under the drivers.

Talked a little with the crew and got to check out the cab (no cab ride though :( ). The ride was great. When we started after the Frontier Outpost, I was shocked by the sound of the exhaust, since we were starting on a 4% grade. Those were the loudest exhaust blasts I've ever heard--like shotgun blasts!

The smell of coal smoke was amazing. Overall, a great experience. Too bad I could only see No. 12 inside the engine house.

The latest edition of Welcome Aboard the Disneyland Railroad! is now available to pre-order, with a special price for Burnslanders! You can read more about the book and pre-order a copy from http://www.burnsland.com/store/dlrrbook.shtml

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Tweetsie Railroad #12's 100th Birthday
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:17 am 
Passenger

Steve DeGaetano wrote:
Glad you started this thread since I didn't want to highjack the other one.

Just got back from my very first visit to Tweetsie. Wow, what a trip! We had just arrived when the first train headed out, and after I heard the exhaust, I knew she had just started on a grade. Went over to the water tower and noticed the rails were sanded. When the train came in (No. 190) it was an awesome sight. The engine was sanding the rails as she came in so she'd already have sand under the drivers.

Talked a little with the crew and got to check out the cab (no cab ride though :( ). The ride was great. When we started after the Frontier Outpost, I was shocked by the sound of the exhaust, since we were starting on a 4% grade. Those were the loudest exhaust blasts I've ever heard--like shotgun blasts!

The smell of coal smoke was amazing. Overall, a great experience. Too bad I could only see No. 12 inside the engine house.

I know. I got to ride #12 last time I went, which was in June. now, if only Disney could make their locomotives smell like coal burners...

Profile E-mail  

[ 3 posts ]