* Login   * Register * FAQ    * Search
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

[ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: BTMRR passenger "ore" car dimensions
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:16 pm 
Brakeman

Since a number of you have modeled the BTMRR, I was wondering if any of you knew the approximate dimensions of the passenger "ore" cars. I was thinking of doing an On30 BTMRR using the Bachmann Porter, I was just wondering if anyone had the dimensions of the "ore" cars.

Thanks
David

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: BTMRR passenger "ore" car dimensions
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:19 pm 
3000 post Engineer

Not sure of the actual dimensions. The LGB 3rd class passenger cars are pretty close. The next time i am in the park i guess I can take some measurements.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:22 pm 
4000 post Engineer

IDMT129 wrote:
The next time i am in the park i guess I can take some measurements.

Oh man, you had better be lightening fast with the tape measure! The crews dispatch fast at Disneyland. After all, it's not a Six Flags park! :D

- Thurl Ravenscroft 1914-2005 -

[email protected]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:42 pm 
Brakeman

Although I've got no dimensions, I can point you to Flickr! There's lots of pics to be found that could help with getting proportions right. When seated, an average adult's back sticks out above the car sides at about the shoulder blades, but the heads stay well below the loco's cab roof. When at the platform, most cast members stand taller than the same cab roof. So, a natural question ensues which all BTMtRR modellers deal with: would your people be O scale like your engine, or bigger like G scale?

Keep us posted on your progress!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:57 pm 
3000 post Engineer

Just pointing out when the engine is in the station, it is parked next to a raised platform. So the cab roof being shorter than a person's hip standing next to it holds little bearing. The width can not be determined either other than a good guesstimate.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:52 pm 
Engineer

Yeah, the "locomotives" on BTMRR are a little more than half the size the Bachmann Porter would be in the same scale. So if you model the ore cars to scale they will look much too small behind the Bachmann Porter. My approach is to eyeball it and go with what looks right in On30. (I can get away with this because I'm modeling the fictional real world prototype for Big Thunder and not the attraction). Or, as has been mentioned, you could use 1/24 scale figures with the Bachmann Porter and scale everything else up to that scale. That would look about right - except for the track which would then be 15" gauge and would look way too narrow! Scale and gauge conundrums are all part of the fun when modeling Disney rails. :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:03 pm 
Engineer

Here are a couple photos to illustrate the point:
The prototype for the Bachmann Porter. Note the size of the engineer.

Big Thunder train at WDW

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:11 am 
Brakeman

Thanks for the info. I was indeed thinking g scale figures with the On30 porter. I realize that it will not be to scale, but that all seems to have the right "feel". Plus the Bachmann porter just screams BTMRR to me every time I see it. Looking at photos, trying to compare to the people seated, I was guessing that the "ore" cars are about 8 feet long. I was just wondering if anyone had any hard numbers. I was trying to figure out which of the On30 flat cars to start with.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:12 am 
Brakeman

Dray1218 wrote:
Thanks for the info. I was indeed thinking g scale figures with the On30 porter. I realize that it will not be to scale, but that all seems to have the right "feel". Plus the Bachmann porter just screams BTMRR to me every time I see it.

I think that using the On30 Porter with G figures WOULD make your railroad to scale! I think you can confidently say you are modeling the attraction. An added benefit: big figures always look better, and you could even sculpt your own if you choose.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:00 pm 
Conductor

Dray1218 wrote:
Since a number of you have modeled the BTMRR, I was wondering if any of you knew the approximate dimensions of the passenger "ore" cars. I was thinking of doing an On30 BTMRR using the Bachmann Porter, I was just wondering if anyone had the dimensions of the "ore" cars.

Thanks
David

I highly recommend you check out the Disney Experience and particularly their Big Thunder Railroad paper model (see link below). Their models are all highly accurate dimensionally but are not done to a given scale. You have to back figure out the scale and then scale the whole model. Their Main Street Station and Castle models I know to be highly accurate (you can lay them on blueprints) and I would assume the same would be for their Thunder Model.

http://www.disneyexperience.com/models/bigthunder_model.php

They also have models for Sleeping Beauty Castle, Main Street Station, Mark Twain, Space Mountain, Indian Jones Temple Entrance, the Sky Cars, plus links to other paper models including Ray Keim's fabulous Haunted Mansion models.

KarlG

[ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next